Court affirms ruling that Pentagon funding of border wall is ‘unlawful’


PHOENIX – Just days after President Donald Trump was in Yuma to praise construction of the border wall last week, a federal court reaffirmed its ruling that the administration’s method of funding that construction was “unlawful.”

The ruling Friday by a divided panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that the administration’s plan to divert $2.5 billion in Defense Department funds toward construction of the border wall – funding Congress had specifically rejected – was unconstitutional.

But in a dissent, Judge Daniel P. Collins said the transfers were lawful, repeating his earlier stance in this case, which has already been to the Supreme Court once and sent back to the 9th Circuit for review.

Calls seeking comment from the departments of Justice, Defense and Homeland Security were not immediately returned.…

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.